Thursday, February 23, 2012

Defending Jacob: A Novel [Kindle Edition] review


you're want to buy Defending Jacob: A Novel [Kindle Edition],yes ..! you comes at the right place. you can get special discount for Defending Jacob: A Novel [Kindle Edition].You can choose to buy a product and Defending Jacob: A Novel [Kindle Edition] at the Best Price Online with Secure Transaction Here...





other Customer Rating:



read more Details

Product Description
The first book to utilize the unexpected discoveries of neuroscience to aid us make the best decisions.

Since Plato, philosophers have described the decision-making process as either rational or emotional: we carefully deliberate, or we blink and go with your gut. But as scientists break open the mind's black box while using latest tools of neuroscience, they re discovering that this is not how a mind works. Our best decisions really are a finely tuned mixture of both feeling and reason and also the precise mix depends on the situation. When investing in a house, for example, it's best permit our unconscious mull on the many variables. However, if we're picking a stock, intuition often leads us astray. The key is to determine when to make use of the various parts from the brain, and to complete this, we should think harder (and smarter) about the way you think.

Jonah Lehrer arms us with all the tools we need, drawing on cutting-edge research too since the real-world experiences of a wide variety of deciders from airplane pilots and hedge fund investors to serial killers and poker players. Lehrer shows how people take advantage of the new science to make better television shows, win more football games, and improve military intelligence. His goal would be to answer two questions which can be of great interest to just about anyone, from CEOs to firefighters: So exactly how does a persons mind make decisions? And how will we make those decisions better?
A Q&A with Jonah Lehrer, Author of how We Decide
Q: Why did you wish to write a magazine about decision-making?

A: Everything began with Cheerios. I'm an incredibly indecisive person. There I was, aimlessly wandering the cereal aisle with the supermarket, looking to choose relating to the apple-cinnamon and honey-nut varieties. It was an embarrassing waste of your time but it happened if you ask me all the time. Eventually, I chose that enough was enough: I want to to remember of the fact that was happening inside my brain when i contemplated my breakfast options. I soon realized, of course, until this new science of decision making had implications far grander than Cheerios.

Q: What are some of these implications?

A: Life is ultimately only a group of decisions, through the mundane (what should I eat for breakfast?) towards the profound (what should I actually do with my life?). Until recently, though, we didn't have idea how our brain actually made these decisions. As a result, we relied on untested assumptions, like the assumption that individuals were rational creatures. (This assumption goes completely back to Plato and also the ancient Greeks.) But now, for that new in human history, we can look in your mind and find out how we actually think. It turns out that we weren't designed to get rational or logical as well as particularly deliberate. Instead, our mind holds a messy network of numerous areas, many which are involved with all the manufacture of emotion. Once we make a decision, the brain is awash in feeling, driven by its inexplicable passions. Even if we try to become reasonable and restrained, these emotional impulses secretly influence our judgment. Of course, by understanding how a human mind makes decisions--and by learning regarding the decision-making mistakes that we're all vulnerable to--we can learn to produce better decisions.

Q: Can neuroscience really teach us how to generate better decisions?

A: My answer can be a qualified yes. Despite the claims of numerous self-help books, there exists no secret recipe for decision-making, no single strategy that can work in most situation. The real life is way too complex. The thought process that excels in the supermarket won't pass muster in the Oval Office. Therefore natural selection endowed us having a brain which is enthusiastically pluralist. Sometimes we need to reason through our options and thoroughly analyze the possibilities. And sometimes we need to listen to our emotions and gut instinct. The secret, of course, is knowing when to use variations of thought--when to trust feelings so when to exercise reason. In my book, I devoted an instalment to looking on the world over the prism from the bet on poker and discovered that, in poker like life, two broad groups of decisions exist: math problems and mysteries. The initial key to making the proper decision, then, is accurately diagnosing the problem and figuring out which brain system to rely on. Should we trust our intuition or calculate the probabilities? We always need being contemplating the way we think.

Q: Do you imagine you're an excellent poker player?

A: Once I was at Vegas, hanging by helping cover their some of best poker players in the world, I convinced myself that I'd absorbed the tricks from the trade, that we can use their advice to win some money. And so i went to your low-stakes table in the Rio, put $300 around the line, and waited for that chips to accumulate. Instead, I lost all of my profit less than an hour. It was a high priced but valuable lesson: there's a big distinction between understanding how experts think and being capable to think as an expert.

Q: Why write this book now?

A: Neuroscience can seem to be abstract, a science preoccupied with questions regarding the cellular details of perception along with the memory of fruit flies. In recent years, however, the area continues to be invaded by some practical thinkers. These scientists need to use the nifty experimental tools of recent neuroscience to explore some with the mysteries each day life. How should we select a cereal? What areas from the brain are triggered inside the shopping mall? So why do smart people accumulate charge card debt and take out subprime mortgages? How can you utilize the brain to describe financial bubbles? For the first time, these incredibly relevant questions have rigorously scientific answers. It all goes time for that classical Greek aphorism: Know thyself. I'd argue the discoveries of contemporary neuroscience allow us to learn ourselves (and our decisions!) within an entirely new way.

Q: The Way We Decide draws from your latest research in neuroscience yet also analyzes some crucial moments inside lives of the number of "deciders," from the football star Tom Brady to some soap opera director. Why did you are taking this approach?

A: Herbert Simon, the Nobel Prize-winning psychologist, famously compared our mind to your couple of scissors. One blade, he said, represented the brain. Another blade was the actual environment where our brain was operating. If you need to view the function of scissors, Simon said, then you've got to check at both blades simultaneously. what I wished to do in The Way You Decide was head out from the lab and into the real-world to ensure I can understand the scissors at work. I discuss some ingenious experiments with this book, but let's face it: the science lab is really a startlingly artificial place. And so, wherever possible, I attempted to explore these scientific theories in the context each day life. As an alternative to just currently talking about hyperbolic discounting and also the feebleness of the prefrontal cortex, I spent time which has a debt counselor in the Bronx. when I became interested inside the anatomy of insight (where do our ideas come from?) I interviewed an airplane pilot whose epiphany within the cockpit saved countless lives. That's once you really commence to appreciate the energy of this new science--when you can use its suggestions to explain all sorts of important phenomena, including the risky behavior of teenagers, the amorality of psychopaths, as well as the tendency of some athletes to choke under pressure.

Q: What do you are doing inside the cereal aisle now?

A: I accustomed to be about halfway through writing the book after i got a bit of great advice coming from a scientist. I utilized to be telling him about my Cheerios dilemma when he abruptly interrupted me: "The secret to happiness," he said,"is not wasting time on irrelevant decisions." Of course, this sage advice didn't help me find out what sort of cereal I actually planned to eat for breakfast. So Used to do the only real logical thing: I bought my three favorite Cheerios varieties and combined them during my cereal bowl. Problem solved.

(Photo © Nina Subin, 2008)


“As Lehrer describes in fluid prose, the brain’s reasoning centers are often fooled, often making judgments depending on nonrational factors like presentation (a sales hype or packaging)...Lehrer is really a delight to read, which is really a fascinating book (some which appeared recently, in a very slightly different form, within the New Yorker) that may help everyone better understand themselves as well as their decision making.” —Publisher's Weekly, starred review





bestbaby swingsfisher price space saver swing and seat Baby swings

No comments:

Post a Comment